Tuesday, October 11, 2011

What Defines You?


I recently created my very own infosphere for an assignment in my Comp I class.  I’ve always known that I rely on technology for certain things.  It wasn’t until this assignment though, that I realized how many things I rely on technology for.  Like most people, I don’t go anywhere without my cell phone.  I think that is a piece of technology that I rely the most on. 
I’ve noticed that I always find myself listening to my iPod while walking to class.  It isn’t just recreational use in which I use technology for.  I get daily assignments and can check my grades on the OSU class website.  I also check my OSU email to get information on upcoming school events, get notified when I can take quizzes for certain classes, and other things.  I would consider myself “attached” to my technological devices. 
I believe the information that I get through technology both sustain and challenge my ideas.  When I am willing to learn, I am also willing to acknowledge different ideas.  Advances in technology are inevitable.  When technology changes, I believe that our infospheres do the same.  As we age, our infospheres will change based on what we lose and gain interests in. 
I wouldn’t say that it is the actual technological devices that influence my identity.  I think that it is more the information that I get from them is what influences my identity.  Anyone can own technological devices, but it’s what is on those devices that influence who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment