Thursday, October 27, 2011

Sorrowful Statuses


            In this week’s blog post I will be discussing the use of pathos on Facebook.  While I was reading the instructions for this week’s blog, I chuckled to myself because it reminded me of someone I know.  I have a friend that constantly posts status updates complaining about things in her life.  It seems as if the majority of her statuses are about something that she manages to whine about.  I like her as a person but her Facebook statuses have gotten extremely annoying.  One of her statuses reads, “I don’t know how to feel happy again.”  I consider this status to be extreme pathos because she is stating that she doesn’t know how to feel happy again but she is not providing a reason why.
            What confuses me is that people always seem to comment her statuses asking what’s wrong if the status is too vague for someone to know what the problem is.  I’ve realized that as long as people are commenting or liking these statuses, she will continue to post them.  I believe that she likes the attention.  What’s strange is that whenever I hang out with her, she seems to always be so cheerful and lively.  When she’s on Facebook though, it’s like she is a completely different person.
            When she posts these negative statuses, it makes me think that she is just another person on a social networking site that wants attention or someone to feel sorry for her.  I believe that is why everyone who posts these types of statuses does it.  It isn’t just negative statuses, though.  The reason we post Facebook statuses is so people will see them and hopefully comment or like them.  That is the whole idea behind social networking sites.  If you were the only person on a social networking site, there would be no reason to upload pictures or update statuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment